Allen summary:
Allen as a writer tells you in this article that writing hasn't come very easy to her. She also states that many of her colleagues have also had struggles with their writing. She thinks that writing is "alien" to us.
Allen response:
With my own writing and my own skill I have always thought that I was just okay at it. I have always thought that writing comes natural to some people and they are just better than others. After this article my opinion has changed.
Murray summary:
In Murray's article "All writing is Autobiography" he tells that most of his writings are stories of his own life. He also tell you that to make a writing special you can't be afraid to make it personal and put your own personal details in the writing.
GRR:
When writing a formal piece of writing to write in the third person not using I.
QD:
1. He wants us as writers to be more personal.
3. His writing is fiction and he doesn't use sources.
4. To make his writing scholarly he spent a lot of time on it and he had many people review his writing.
5. I think that from now on I will try to make all my writings more personal. It will change my way of writing.
MM:
It will help me put myself into the writing and make me a better writer.
Dawkins summary:
In the article "Teaching Punctuation as a Rhetorical Tool" he wants writers to realize that the guidelines we follow are not always true. He says that with punctuation you can make a sentence stand out against the rest or make it not if you don't want it to.
GRR:
The treehouse is made of wood scraps and cardboard, its a great place for my sister and her friends to play.
My sisters treehouse is made of wood scraps and cardboard, and its a great place to play with her friends.
My sisters treehouse is a great place to play with her friends, its made of wood scraps and cardboard.
I just rewrote the sentences using different words in different places.
QD:
2. He states in this article that when writing you may not always need to follow the same guidelines. The grammer rules may not always be important.
3. Raising is where comas and semicolons are placed and how they are used. Lowering is the complete oppisite and its not about grammer or where and how its used. It impacts your writing because it can make a sentence special or just blend in.
5. The main thing I got from this article is knowing when and where you actually need to put punctuation and whether its important.
6. When I write I have always been worried about punctuation because it has always affected the grades on my writing. This article has changed the way I think about writing and makes me question whats important.
MM:
I think that we read this article because Dawkin's opinion is more forward on the matter. I will gain the fact that to know whats important in your writing you need to know who the piece is for and what the piece pertains to.
I think you got the main point of the article, but I think that you could expand a little more on the summary and on the questions as well. Good job!
ReplyDeleteI disagree with you when it comes to what you believe Dawkins was trying to say. I don't think he was trying to say that the guidelines we follow aren't true, but instead he was just giving us an alternative, easier method on how to punctuate correctly and how we can learn how to say different things just by our punctuation.
ReplyDelete