GRR: The the word argument is used in everyday conversation by people saying that they do not agree and they are having a disagreement. In the academic setting the word could be used in a different way. it could mean that there is a debate.The difference between the two is that a disagreement is more along the lines of a fight and a debate is a controlled thing that is the basis of two sides sharing and comparing sides of an issue.
QD:
1) According to Greene reading was really about accumulating information and that such an approach to education served you well. You will begin to reflect upon your experience in new ways in developing an argument about what the purpose of education might be.
2) Greene uses this quote because it explains how an argument escalates. The metaphor that Greene uses is that when people pick sides it shows who is on what side and where you stand on the issue. It presents writing in a way that many people can understand. An idea that challenges writing because it isn't always easy to write down.
3)For us to see the world in one way as opposed to another, not unlike the way a photographer manipulates a camera lens to frame a picture. The metaphor that underlies it is for describing the lens, or perspective, from which writers present their arguments. The concept is important for Greene because it helps you develop and argument. Framing sheds light on your ideas.
AEI:
No the article does not represent a conversation. He frames his argument by having a model of the argument. Yes I would say that Greene practices what he preaches.
For the number two on the QD, I agree with that it shows how arguments escalates. I didn't really realize it until your post the importance of people pick sides of an argument.
ReplyDeleteI had similar answers to all of your questions, but on the AEI question I had a different opinion because I thought that he was having a conversation.
ReplyDeleteI agree with what you said in regards to how the term argument is used differently in different settings. However the one thing I can say I do not agree on is that I believe that the article was a conversation because it seemed as though the author was trying to talk to the reader and prove his point on the subject
ReplyDeleteI agree with you on just about everything here in your post except your AEI response. I believe that he practiced what he preached because he used all of these styles in his writing.
ReplyDelete