Johns Summary:
In her article she gives her own definition of what a discourse community is and how it is a academic discourse community. She talks about how it is possible for people to be in multiply communities at the same time. She also explains the things that are difficult or go wrong in discourse communities.
QD:
1) A complication in a community according to John is one person having authority over every person in that community. Along with that is when there is a disagreement between members within the community and how the authority figure deals with.
2) In her article people in one community had the same goals to strive for and are working to achieve the same thing. She also says that change is a good thing in that when someone had to leave the community that someone would replace that person to make the group complete again.
3) I do not think that my beliefs or values have changed because I have always had the same ideas about how i write and read.
4) I don't think that these things change who you are. I think that they form around who you are and can help you in the future.
5) I think that my authority so far has been my teachers in that they have guidelines they want us to follow when writing a paper for them.
6) It is a mine field in the sense that all teachers are different and you have no exact idea on how they will react to how you break the rules. They could either be extremely disappointed and give you a bad grade to reflect that or they could like what you have to say and take your way into consideration and like your new way that they didn't think of.
MM:
The rules help you understand that ins and outs of a community. You will know if you would fit in and belong with the people of that group. You would also feel the pressures of the group if you don't exactly fit and they try to make you conform to something that your are not.
John's response:
I thought that this article was very long and maybe had a little more information than really needed and it was repetitive like the articles we have already read.
I definitely agree that this article was easier to read than the others but I dont think that just because you are not the authority figure, you have to follow rules. It may not be rules to have to follow, but just to take advice and learn from the authority.
ReplyDelete